Sunday, September 22, 2013

Above and Beyond

Many still associate Greek life with an "Animal House" type of lifestyle. This could not be further from the truth. To me, one of the most important aspects of Greek life is that you have someone to pick you up when you fall. Always. Recently, my cousin asked me about Greek life and how bids were given out and why girls were making fools out of themselves by cheerleading themselves. I explained to her that Greek life is so much more than the recruitment aspect of it. But, of course recruitment is hugely important to use. Our new members are the future of our chapter, and it is so exciting to at least have a peek at what the future can bring and just awesome to bring new sisters into our sisterhood and watch them learn what we already know and love.

I explained to my cousin about all of the benefits of Greek life. Friendships I wouldn't have had otherwise, leadership opportunities, and networking. I told her that there was a lot of fun involved with it, like sisterhood events, Greek Week, or just hanging out with my sisters like my other friends, but that it is so much more. I explained about all of our philanthropy work and how hard we try to do good for others. How Greek life helps us learn about ourselves. How it made me a better person than I could possibly imagine.

There's so much more too. Ritual is sometimes forgotten, I think, but it's truly one of my favorite parts. It is unique to each Greek organization. Truly, I have sat and thought about it (more or less because I really love my sorority and am a total nerd about it) and my ritual reflects what I believed in before I joined my sorority and just has enhanced it. I believe it was learning that about my sorority-our ritual, our history, and our values that made me realize my sorority was home to me. It was where I fit. I've learned more about myself, and I feel as if I am a better sister, friend, leader, and woman because of my sorority. And all of this I didn't even get to explain to my cousin!

From the little I did tell her, she said that she didn't realize everything Greeks did and could see why I loved it. Even though it can be really hard to explain to others about Greek life, I felt like I had accomplished something because now there was one less person who believed that Greek life was the way John Belushi had hilariously portrayed it.

Greek life is more than I can ever explain. It has truly made me a better person. I have seen others become the best they could be because of it as well. I have also seen the good that Greeks have done for others. Little by little, we can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment